Change is the end result of all true learning.
- Leo Buscaglia
Michelle Choy, Co-Founder/Director
Name: Michelle Choy
Background: Occupational Therapist, Popular Parenting Blogger
Before TLE: Mum of 6 kids aged 20, 18, 16, 14, 12 and 6, joint-author of parenting book "Keep Calm and Mother On"
Through raising my 6 kids, I've seen the worrying trend of escalating mental health in our young, which spurred me to be a voice to champion for a less stressful and more meaningful childhood - both through my blog and through TLE. My beliefs are reflected in the unconventional way in which I've brought up my children, eschewing kiasuism and the proverbial rat race for a more purposeful and applicable education. I refuse to accept the notion that academic success and the happiness of the child are mutually exclusive.
Idealistic as it may sound, I hope to change the learning landscape from one of "teaching to the test" to one of enabling each and every child to shine in his or her own learning curve, with the attainment of success in whichever field they may so choose in future. This is why I started TLE together with my co-founder, Michelle Tham, after searching for 20 years for such a curriculum to no avail. I am heartened to see that MOE has finally become aligned with our philosophy of "process over product", as the urgency to equip our children with a whole new set of skills and mindset can no longer wait.
Education: Bachelor of Health Science in Occupational Therapy, University of Newcastle
Awards: Top 10 Best New Blog - Singapore Blog Awards
Dream Job: When I was young, I wanted to be a nun (but now, TLE is my dream job!)
- Not only are people stunned when they hear I have 6 kids, their jaw drops when they find out that my 2 older girls are already in University.
- In school, when we had to do book reviews, I reviewed short stories that I myself had written!
- At 12, I knew that I wanted to be an Occupational Therapist
- Before we were married, my husband used to leave his friends just before dinner and they thought he was so lucky that I was cooking for him every night. How wrong they were. He was the one doing all the cooking!
- I sold insurance part-time for a decade before starting TLE. During client meetings, I enjoyed dishing out parenting advice more than selling the policies! Which is how the Mummy Wee blog was born.